It’s not pretty, but yesterday I got my first (and second) Muscle Up!!
I started putting in dedicated time and thoughts to this last December at my Level 1 Cert. I really wanted to get it done then, but I was not ready.
Over the past 10 months, I put a focus on lots of strict pull ups and dips and ring dips and did a few 1 on 1 training sessions with our trainers and it all paid off.
A couple of pointers:
- Do a lot of pull ups, dips and ring dips. You do need some strength as you are going to land in a very low ring dip.
- Warm up: Stretch your shoulders and do a few muscle up transitions on a lower set of rings.
- Pull to your hips by leaning back, not just pulling harder. This is not like a super high chest to bar pull up.
- Record some video of your attempts, ideally using a camera that has slow motion play back (I like Ubersense)
- Do a session with a trainer who can give you specific pointers.
Here’s Doug Chapman explaining a pull up / dip complex: